Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Rat's 2 cents worth (Read 1939 times)
TomWalters
Ex Member

Zodiac sign: Aquarius
The Rat's 2 cents worth
Jul 13th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Owen,
You have a right fine program strarted here. I few a few sugjestions to be made if I may.

I have for the most part mastered the PC Stitch program and it takes just a few mintues to do a simple weave pattern, but with all prgrams each has it draw-backs.

I started to use your program to see how it would stack up, and to my suprise it did okay for the most part.

Changes I personaly would like to see..

1) When I do my patterns I like to set them up looking at them as though the rod was standing up, not side ways like I was doing the weave on them. When I am done with my pattern, then I turn it so that it can be side ways then.

2) When adding row or coloums to the pattern I would like the chose of which of the 4 sides to add them to.

3) When adding or changing colors I like to drag and drop my colors into the tool bar. when changing colors I like to click on the color and go right into the pattern to use it.

4) When chaging colors I did not like to pattern jumping back to the part of the screen where box 1 and 1 was. It was hard to find the area that I was to continue on with a differnt color.

5) When doing a large area of color, lets say 100 or more boxes in PC Stitch I can just trace the outer parts of the area i want that color and "paint" the area with the click of a button, with yours I have to high light each tile. That takes way to long and that is where I ran into problems #3 and #4.

6) If you could also put symbles into the prgram that would be great. I like to use colors that are really close to one another when doing some of my patterns. I had finished one for Docski that had 2 colors of gold, 4 shades of purple, 2 other colors, and a wrap around color in it. If yours had the colors shading to it with the symbles in it, that would make it easyer to see where I was in the pattern.

7) Will you be adding the old threads to your list, I know Doc would like this. He really likes the old threads, but you work with the stuff you grew up on. So maybe you can add some Holland, Sunset, and just for Doc Yak thread into the thread field.

8) Previewing the pattern. I would like to see it in the size that it will be on the rod. so to be able to reduce it down to dime size and up to a car hubcap size would be great. By working with it in both sizes you can see the colors under the grid really well and by shrinking it down you can see how the detail will work.

9) Oaky I will step down from my soap box now and let you mill these ideas over. Thank you again for the chance to work with this test program.

Best wishes from,
Tom "Sewerratking" Walters

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: The Rat's 2 cents worth
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Sewerratking wrote on Jul 13th, 2007 at 8:56pm:
Owen,
You have a right fine program strarted here. I few a few sugjestions to be made if I may.

G'day Tom..
Go for it mate, that's what the place is for.
Quote:
I have for the most part mastered the PC Stitch program and it takes just a few mintues to do a simple weave pattern, but with all prgrams each has it draw-backs.
I started to use your program to see how it would stack up, and to my suprise it did okay for the most part.

PC Stitch is a fine programme.  It has excellent features that I'll never implement and of course lacks features designed specifically for rod building.

Quote:
Changes I personaly would like to see..
1) When I do my patterns I like to set them up looking at them as though the rod was standing up, not side ways like I was doing the weave on them. When I am done with my pattern, then I turn it so that it can be side ways then.

hmmm...
I'm sure it works, but to me it seems counter intuitive to design in a different orientation to hat you will wrap in.
I'm not ruling it out, but rotating the grid is not something I had planned to implement.
Quote:
2) When adding row or coloums to the pattern I would like the chose of which of the 4 sides to add them to.

This is almost achievable now if you right click on the grid, you can add rows/columns anywhere, but not exactly as you are asking for.  It's a good idea and not too hard to implement.. thanks.
Quote:
3) When adding or changing colors I like to drag and drop my colors into the tool bar. when changing colors I like to click on the color and go right into the pattern to use it.

I doubt I'll be changing from the drop down dialogs for the colors.  It would probably require more of a re-write than I'm prepared to do at this point.
Quote:
4) When chaging colors I did not like to pattern jumping back to the part of the screen where box 1 and 1 was. It was hard to find the area that I was to continue on with a differnt color.

Amen brother  Angry Angry Angry
That bug is driving me nuts.  It is a "feature" of the underlying windows component that I am using.  I can get rid of the jumping, but then the background stops scrolling with the grid.
I WILL fix it before a 1.0 release.
Quote:
5) When doing a large area of color, lets say 100 or more boxes in PC Stitch I can just trace the outer parts of the area i want that color and "paint" the area with the click of a button, with yours I have to high light each tile. That takes way to long and that is where I ran into problems #3 and #4.

I agree that this would be useful.  It may not be easy to implement though.  I will definately give it a go.
I'm assuming you know that you can colour multiple cells by holding the shift key and dragging the mouse over them.  You don't have to click in every cell.
Quote:
6) If you could also put symbles into the prgram that would be great. I like to use colors that are really close to one another when doing some of my patterns. I had finished one for Docski that had 2 colors of gold, 4 shades of purple, 2 other colors, and a wrap around color in it. If yours had the colors shading to it with the symbles in it, that would make it easyer to see where I was in the pattern.

hmmmm...
I see your point.  I'll have to think on this one.  What symbols?
They would have to replace the row numbers I place in there now.
Does anyone use these?
I use them as a reference.  When I weave I use BOTH the left list and the grid so I can make sure I have colour changes correct.  The numbers are handy for that, but I guess a user configurable symbol for each colour would be just as good.
You guys fight it out and I'll run with whatever the concensus is.  Wink
Quote:
7) Will you be adding the old threads to your list, I know Doc would like this. He really likes the old threads, but you work with the stuff you grew up on. So maybe you can add some Holland, Sunset, and just for Doc Yak thread into the thread field.

I have designed PicToWeave in such as way that I don't have to add every thread colour possible.  YOU can add any you like.
You can also add more meaningful descriptions to threads like Madiera that just use a number.
I will do a pictorial on it soon, but if you open pic2weave.ini in a text editor like windows notepad, you will see where the threads are and the format they take.  By simply adding to, or editing this section you can have as many threads as you like.  The colours are shown in hex format such as 0001 Black Gudebrod=$000F0F0F
I have included a utility called colormap that allows you to select a colour and give it a name for inclusion into PicToWeave
Quote:
8) Previewing the pattern. I would like to see it in the size that it will be on the rod. so to be able to reduce it down to dime size and up to a car hubcap size would be great. By working with it in both sizes you can see the colors under the grid really well and by shrinking it down you can see how the detail will work.

That's a good idea and one that I have given some consideration to.  It's important that the user know what the thing will look like BEFORE they sit down for 8 hours and weave it.  It may not happen right away though, as I have more pressing issues that relate to the stability and functionality of the thing.

Quote:
9) Oaky I will step down from my soap box now and let you mill these ideas over. Thank you again for the chance to work with this test program.

Best wishes from,
Tom "Sewerratking" Walters

Mate, thanks for taking the tiome to give it a thorough and objective workout.  I know you're comfortable and proficient with PC Stitch so you bring an insight that many others don't have.  Even though this is my "baby", I've never seen a baby I didn't think was kinda ugly when it was born  Wink
I'm not too fragile about it to cop a bit of constructive criticism.

cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Re: The Rat's 2 cents worth
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Hi Tom! Glad to see the Rat hear.

Owen,

Not sure of the symbolizm Tom is talking about but if he finds it useful there has to be good reason for it.

However, I find the thread numbers placed in the grid squares to be an INDESPENCEABLE asset. I had not seen the thread numbers within the grid on any other patterns before except for a couple patterns I got from weavers who wrap from the pattern and don't use a left list. The patterns were hand drawn and I thought the numbers were hard to read and just cluttered
things up but after seeing them in type form I find them very useful when checking for accuracy especially with the left list against the grid. I like them so well that I put them in all my excel templates.

I guess the ability to choose what you want to see in the grid square would be a good thing just PLEASE don't remove the ability to have the thread numbers there!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint