Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Metalic Thread (Read 10947 times)
Sandyd
Ex Member

Metalic Thread
Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Question for Charlie or any other person out there who uses metalic thread all the time.

How do you stop the thread from unravalling?  So far I have done 2 weaves in matalic and in both cases the thread has unravalled at some point in the weave.  This time I took my time and was what I thought so careful but it still happened, i don't want to give up on metalic weaves I want to master them.

helppppppp

IP Logged

PerrieThomas
Ex Member

Re: Metalic Thread
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
stay away from gudebrod metallics...

i use the madeira and have started playing with 'Gutermann' a Belgium made metallic thread that i picked up from Spotlight...itsa tad smoother tha he madeira comes in 500m spools and it doesnt twist under load...worth a look... Wink

IP Logged

Sandyd
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Thanks for that hotrods. Owen and I also tried the 'Gutermann' but to tell you the truth it ended up in the bin. I will have to give the madeira a go think I got some of that as well. Have you tried any of the other brands that are made for rod building?

IP Logged

PerrieThomas
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 7:53am
Print Post  
nope...the madeira has been quite faithfull...you get a really clean finish without a lot of decernable 'thread lines' accosiated with heavier metallics...

interesting you binned the gutermann ??? why ???

IP Logged

Sandyd
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
nope...the madeira has been quite faithfull...you get a really clean finish without a lot of decernable 'thread lines' accosiated with heavier metallics...

interesting you binned the gutermann ??? why ???

Reason being the thread kept breaking with little or no tension on it what so ever.  may have just been a bad patch but we ended up binning a few reels of the stuff.

Sandra

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 8:10am
Print Post  
One trick Doc Ski taught me is to burn the ends of metallic threads. Just use a lighter and light the end then quickly blow it out. The nylon will melt and fuse the inner & outer covering together and prevent it from unraveling from the ends. Some guys tie knots in the ends but
burning is much quicker I think.

Raymond

IP Logged

du
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 6:40am
Print Post  
hi,Sandy all my weave I'm used Gudebrod metallic gliztzy gold size A   the only metallic threads  I find out it can take punish from packing and pulling, it handle better then the rest , wont unravellings  that must
if it happen Just tie little knot  stop it from unravellings ,hope it help a little bit Smiley

IP Logged

ryansrods
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
as ray mond said just melt the ends of the thread  use a tea light candle

IP Logged

sandy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:22am
Print Post  
One reason metallic thread frays and breaks is that it is constantly pulled too tight. Also if the loom compartments that hold the thread are rough, the thread will eventually fray. Be careful handling the thread particularly after going back and forth many times.

IP Logged

Randy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 8:59am
Print Post  
I also burn the ends to keep it from fraying.  Like Charlie, I use alot of Glitzy Gold because for some reason it doesn't fray as quickly as the others.  Randy.

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the advise.  It seems that Sandy was on ball here as I had been using a home made jig made out of combs? 
They have been put aside for the other stuff for now.

IP Logged

bandit
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
stay away from gudebrod metallics...

i use the madeira and have started playing with 'Gutermann' a Belgium made metallic thread that i picked up from Spotlight...itsa tad smoother tha he madeira comes in 500m spools and it doesnt twist under load...worth a look... Wink

I've just started building and thought it was me with the Gudebrod metallic thread.
Now i know, i will try some different brands.  thanks. Smiley

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2008 at 6:25am
Print Post  
From reading other post from different sites it seems that gudebrod has a problem, yet i find if i am only doing a small weave it will hold out. The problem I was having is that the metallic was fraying away from the thread it self and I was ending up with white cotton in certain spots. I really believe that this was due to the jig I was using at the time where the thread was getting caught. I have just bought some new reels and have a new jig which does not consist of 2 combs, so I think I will have to just wait and see..
The Gutermann I found to be to weak to use as a weave thread as it kept breaking under tension, so they ended up in the bin. Now I tried the Madeira and I can't remember the results on that one.

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2008 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I still use Gudebrod as I have quite a bit of it. It definately does the job
dispite the issues (some minor). Fortunately, I had not received any of the "bad" spools I've heard many complaints about.

That being said, I have been using some Fish Hawk mettalics and find them to be much more "user friendly". They are supple and don't unravel near as easily. The sheathing is a silver alloy instead of alluminum and the core is surounded by rice paper. I did find that it has a tiny bit more stretch than the Gudebrod HT but stretch is just something we have to live with where all mettalics are concerned.

IP Logged

paulg
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 3:52am
Print Post  
BURN THE ENDS it will correct the problem.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint