Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic pictoweave (Read 2884 times)
du
Ex Member

pictoweave
Dec 9th, 2007 at 4:00am
Print Post  
Hi Owen,Sandy
how you guys doing?
I'm working new pattern using PTW program
I kind wondering in future can you add eraser icon  in tools bar
and allow to erase back ground image  by eraser tool . 

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: pictoweave
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Charlie,
I have no plans to add such a feature at this time as I believe it is more efficient to do any image manipulation with a dedicated image tool BEFORE you import it.

To sit & do it manually takes ages, but something like (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) can use fuzzy logic to get rid of pieces you don't need in seconds. You can do the same thing in Photoshop etc, but they cost several hundred dollars.

I put this in a previous post.

Quote:

PCStitch requires an eraser because it attempts to color the pattern for you. In order to do that, you have to completely erase any background details before you start.
Otherwise when you tell it to "auto paint", it will try to make the colors in the background part of the weave pattern.

Whilst such a feature is fine for "cartoon" type images with clearly defined changes of color, it is far less useful if you have something like a real fish where color changes are subtle.
The technology to have the programme color the weave is not that hard.
But I don't believe it is of great benefit for anything other than very basic weaves. You will find you are having to adjust them manually anyway as the computer can only work on an average of some sort of what color is in any grid.
You must tell it what colors it is restricted to, or it will have 100's of colors in your weave.

In PicToWeave, you are the artist.
You simply load the image as a template and paint over the top. That way you can see if you need to go "one more square" this way or that, or change a cell color here or there in order to make a detail like an eye seem more realistic.
A real picture doesn't have to abruptly change colors at a certain point. Sometimes, no matter what you, you will find that some detail you want lays exactly on the boundary of two cell rows or columns.
This is where YOU must decide how to display it.
If you have the computer paint it for you, then you will have to go back over it all to fix it anyway, only this time without the benefit of a background to copy off because it will be completely covered.
I'd rather take a little longer to paint it right first time.

To do auto paint you either have to spend a lot of time manually erasing the background accurately, or you have to invest $300-$500 on complicated image editing software to do it for you.
If you choose the first route, you could have pretty much painted it in PicToWeave in the time it takes just to prepare the background. As to the second? Why would I design a program that forces people to spend a heap more money to make it anything like effective?

If enough people request such a feature I may look at it, but I really think if you try both ways you'll see it's not what it's cracked up to be.

cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

du
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Hi,Owen
I had finish my pattern
could you show me how to copy my pattern and paste to weave forum so let every check it out this is the first pattern I have done with Pic to weave

thanks

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Charlie,

There is no way to directly save the weave to an image, but it is a good idea!
I'll look into it.

What you can do is the following:

• go to  FILE > PRINT PREVIEW
  • Select select your printer and click OK.
  • Maximise the screen so you can see the whole thing, or uncheck the "Fit to page" setting so you can see it all.
  • Press the ALT and the PRINT SCREEN button together at the same time.
  • Go into an image program like Paint, Irfanview or Photoshop
  • Paste the image
  • Crop it to get rid of any excess
  • Save it as a JPG

Your other alternative is to use a program like Irfanview that has screen capture built in.

cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi,Owen
I had finish my pattern
could you show me how to copy my pattern and paste to weave forum so let every check it out this is the first pattern I have done with Pic to weave

thanks

Charlie,
I have just added this function to 1.0.2.7
cheers
Owen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint