Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Yet another question (Read 2186 times)
docholiday
Ex Member

Yet another question
Feb 8th, 2008 at 4:00am
Print Post  
I have yet another problem, this one being haveing been very close to finishing a design, then a warning beep from my PC and the project simply dissapeared. This has happened 3 times in a row and Im not sure if its a problem on my end or If I have some kind of bug in the systed.

Also, heres probably one of those obvious things that I will find in the tutorial when I finally get down to go through it. I want to "re-evaluate" a project when Im in the middle of doing it without having to start over.  I know how to add rows and columns but that does not resize the design.

Thanks again for the help the other day.

Vern

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: Yet another question
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Vern,
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're describing.
There is nothing in PicToWeave that would cause a "warning beep"
These are usually a BIOS level thing related to overheating due to a faulty fan or something.
When you say the project disappears, do you mean that PicToWeave closes or does your PC stop responding or shut down?

If you were doing an extremely large pattern and you had an extremely large background image, it is conceivable that you could use up all your PC's memory.  The more RAM and video memory you have the larger the grid you can create.
In testing on pretty low spec PC's I found once you get over about 450 x 250 in your grid, you MAY start to have memory issues.
When you do however you will get a message saying "not enough memory" or something similar.

On my home PC with 4GB of RAM I can load much larger grids and still work fine.

Bear in mind though that a grid this size is a massive weave.
Much larger than you're ever likely to do on a rod.

Perhaps if you send me the project I can have a look.

As to the second part of the question.
You can add rows and columns to an existing grid by right clicking on the grid and selecting from the popup menu.
You can add rows or columns to any point in the grid or on any side.
If however you have a background image, it will be resized to fit the new grid size, therefore it won't line up with the work you have already done.

I'm note sure what you mean by "re-evaluate" and resize the design?

The basic idea is that you would have a finished size in mind before you set your grid up.
Once you have set those parameters then the only thing you can do to alter the finished size without having to redo the design is to alter thread size.

You could do the same design using a 100 x 100 grid and a 200 x 200 grid.
The weave patterns required to achieve those two identical images are by necessity different given the same thread size.

cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

docholiday
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 5:13am
Print Post  
The beep is a warning that sounds when my computer has encounterded some type of problem. Not worried about that. It is a "close Warning" from Windows XP. Pictoweave simply shuts down and I get booted off the internet. I have plenty of memory and have had that happen as well when the Warining message comes up when I am working on large Photography programs but when that happens you get a choice of how to continue.

In this case, I get no screen at all, it simply boots us out and off the internet.

Does that make sense.??

Iam running the tutorial today so by the end of the day it should help as well.

Thanks

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Vern,
I still lean toward memory issues.
Can you send me the pattern?

The only other thing when you mention internet us that PicToWave checks for new versions ocasionally on startup.
Your firewall could conceivably shut it down if you dn't set it to allow access.
That should be when you first start it though, not after a period of time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint