Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new member Hi from Tassie (Read 1798 times)
woolly
Ex Member

new member Hi from Tassie
Feb 25th, 2008 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Hi all from Tassie,
    I've been building rods on and off for myself and for friends for about 15 years.But am now taking it a bit more seriously.(built a room in my shed dedicated to rodbuilding and fly tying.Wife is very happy to have fur,feather,glue ,thread etc out of house).Have recently begun to experiment with weaves.Latest one was Hawthorne badge for Hawks tragic.Keen to try more advanced patterns.Plan to acquire Pictoweave in near future.(new computer for home first)
  Current fishing action.Chasing bluefin and albacore  and hopefully a yellowfin off Tasman Peninsula.Plenty of albacore about.Not too many of the others yet.Also,brown and rainbow trout on the fly in the highland lakes.(not very succesfully,recently )

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Re: new member Hi from Tassie
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Welcome Woolly

Fly fishing is something we really hope to try when we are travelling the US next month so any tips would be great accepted.

As for getting the rod building out of the house I would have to agree, we are going to be looking for a new place to live when we come back and it must have a shed. At present my sewing and arts room has been taken over by dryers and all the bits and pieces. The garage has never been used to park a car sense the day we bought this house. Oh he did try and get the boat in once. But a shed makes more sense to me and it is not just for Owen. Smiley

Sandy

IP Logged

woolly
Ex Member

Re: new member Hi from Tassie
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Sandy,my one tip if you have not fly fished before is invest in some time with a good coach/guide.I did all the usual things,tried with a mate to teach ourselves from books ,DVDs,etc.Finally bit the bullet and spent a couple of hours with a  local guide.Best money spent.Then spent a day with casting legend Peter Hayes.Very intense day but worth the money.Improved my casting no end.So that's my tip.It would be like doing a weaving tutorial with Doc Ski or Jim Upton.Invaluable!Other advice.from my first coach"learn to cast accurately before casting long!" Good luck and hope you have a great trip,
     Ian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint