Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) First ever color change weave (Read 1144 times)
Ken M
Ex Member

First ever color change weave
May 23rd, 2008 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
First ever.......Color change weave, Pattern on PictoWeave, Rod build
using Madiera thread.
Hello all,
I would just like to post a pic to gauge reaction and recieve pointers
on how it looks/or things to try that may make it better.
This weave is 49 threads/3 layers. Very small, but it's on a small rod,
and I wanted to be able to see most of it without turning the rod.
One problem I see is that while it is 3 colors, the white and non-metallic silver are indistinguishable. Another is that I may have attempted too fine a detail by adding the latitude lines on the globe-
creating a ribbed texture anyone have other things to point out?
Thanks for your thoughts.....Ken

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: First ever color change weave
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2008 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Ken,
If that's your first attempt at a colour change weave then I'm definately impressed!

Every layer change inevitably leaves a small "ridge" or line.
They fact that you have done lots of thread colour changes on the same rotation makes it more prominent, but I like the effect.

The white/silver thing may change when you add CP & epoxy.
You can expect the silver to darken a shade or two, so they may be more noticeably different then.

I've learned that holding two spools beside each other to choose colours isn't the best option.
You are better served holding individual threads.  Groups of the same colour held together seem to strengthen the colour.
Hope that makes sense.

cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2008 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Ken
For a first you have done well, you seem to have an eye for detail and I personally like the ribbed affect on the Globe. If is sometimes hard to pick up detail on small weaves but you have done this nicely.
Owen is right with picking colours, it is not until you have even a single thread against each other do you see what you will get.  Even holding them up against the colour back ground you will be using as the wrap thread helps to get a better idea.

Keep them coming

IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2008 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Thank you for your comments Owen & Sandy.
The rod has been finished already, but I failed to get a photo after
the finish was applied. I was really pressed for time as it was a gift
to a good friend,  who was a career U.S. Marine, that I was to meet the next day(260 mile drive-550-600KM's?). anyway I also tried the Diamondite c/p and finish for the first time also....And really liked
how well it covered and flowed, plus it cures more quickly to the touch,
which was a BIG plus as this was down to the wire.
I did however get a photo of the completed wrap before finish, I think it complements nicely, if I do say so myself. My friend was quite impressed, as he had no idea that I had built this for him, and he had never seen a color change weave before. His first comment was " How did you get the Eagle, Anchor & Globe on there???!"
Here is the pic I did get

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2008 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
That's sweet!
I would have loved to see it after finish.

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Way to go Ken! Nice job all around. That crosswrap pattern is one of my favorites especially with metallic birds and the red, white, blue background colors. The weave came out ok as well. Your globe is not egg shaped like the sun on my last weave! I had to cut mine off 4 times!
I'm sure the next time you do that pattern you will be much happier with it.

I'm a newby with color-change weaves myself so I can't offer much help except to say that the more threads one uses the more detail one can acheive. I would not have tried to put in the latitude lines myself but only because i found that out out the hard way. Doc Ski's advise to me was "sometimes LESS is more"

IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2008 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Thank you Raymond,
I did see the weave you had problems with, and as aresult, I was careful to try to keep my tensions even throughout the weave, so
thank you for posting that pic!
This was also my first weave using a loom (Doc Ski's).
I've only used the old tape method in the past, and the loom really
seemed to help prevent  the threads "creeping" down the blank.
This rod represents a lot of "firsts" for me,
First;
use of a loom
use of Madiera thread (previously used gudebrod "D")
color change weave
use of Diamondite c/p and finish
and my first use of PictoWeave!
I must admit I did struggle with the Madiera beind so much smaller in diameter than what I was used to!
And blacking out the crosswraps was quite challenging, as I had a hard time seeing the black thread against the dark blank.
I notice many of the patterns I see are too large for my loom.....(80 threads)
is everyone using Wonder Weavers?!  LOL
They look to be very well made, but I wanted to start with a little less expense. Not knocking Docs loom, It worked well for me!

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Ken a question on the Loom did you still use the tape to stick the threads down or how did you use it?  I ask the question as I have just got a few of these from Doc and was wondering how you did it being a first timer.

IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Sandy,
Yes, I taped them down, starting with the most used color, then stacking the colors using less threads.
I don't know if this was the correct way, but it worked well enough.
I was supposed to recieve Docs advanced weaving DVD with the PicToWeave pkg, but was sent the wrong DVD.....still trying to get the right DVD set.
I saw a small thumbnail of Jim Upton's Book showing how to lay them on the rod and went with what I could make out of it.

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Ken,

There is a tutorial section in this site and there you will find Doc's tutorials in PDF format. One shows how one should set-up his jigs
to start a weave.

I have 2 of Doc's jig sets. The 25/40 set and the 100 set and use them
both. I also have the "Wonder Weaver" but have not tried to use it yet.

If you want to try & make your own WW type loom I recently ran across something that might just do the trick. I have some of these slider thing'a'ma jiggers that are made to go under the legs of heavy furniture to allow for easy sliding on carpet. They are plastic disks with 1/4in heavy dence foam on one side about 4 - 6 inches round. One could remove the foam disks, mount them into some pvc tubing, then cut & number slots all the way around and have a circular loom very similar to a Wonder Weaver!
see picture of sliders below

IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks Raymond!
I'd been having very similar thoughts myself, although I had not seen these disxs!
I've not seen the WW up close, but was thinkig about PVC, and possibly making the discs as small as practical, in order to keep with Docs' theory of keeping the threads as close to the rod as possible?
I'm in the middle of the continent, and I have never had the chance to work on those large blanks.........Yet!

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Ken
We live In QLD and the reef is just off shore but Owen still has a surf rod.  I am still trying to figure that one out.  Undecided

Raymond thanks for sharing that info I will be going to the hardware store today to see if we have anything like that here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint