Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New member; Jim Hicks (Read 2549 times)
Jim Hicks
Ex Member

New member; Jim Hicks
Sep 18th, 2008 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I'm from Columbia, MD, USA.  I've been building rods for almost two years now; spin/cast/fly, freshwater, bass.  I like trying something new on each rod.  Thought I'd give weaving a try.

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Re: New member; Jim Hicks
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Hi Jim and welcome.  I have never built a fly rod yet but it is on my list to do.  Not sure where I would use it but who knows one day I just might need one.

IP Logged

Jim Hicks
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Sandy, a real neat option for a fly rod is a drop-section pack rod.  You get something along the lines of a 4 piece fly blank and build on just the three tip sections of the blank.  Build a ferrule into both ends of the handle so it can be turned one way as a fly rod or turned the other way around and it's an ultralight spinning rod.  If it turns out you don't like fly fishing then you still have a functional spinning rod.  I've built one of these and it's great fun to fish with either way.

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the board Jim!

Hope to see some pix. Did ya enter the contest yet?

IP Logged

Jim Hicks
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Howdy, Ray. Yes, I did enter the contest. I've started my first weave with the skeleton fish. Broke one thread so far, missed a couple thread numbers and had to back up a few times. Packing like heck to keep things straight. The rig I'm using for a weaving jig wants to pull everything to the middle which is a pain on the skeleton fish because there are two center threads that make up the spine and these threads stay on the left for most of the weave and I have to continually push the others around to keep the gap open for when I finally move them to the right. In spite of what it may end up looking like it's quite a learning experience. I posted a pic in the image gallary; just the head was done at that time. I'll post another pic once I get to the half-way point which at this rate will be after the contest is over Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint