Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic First attempt at a project in PicTo Weave (Read 3960 times)
Jim Hicks
Ex Member

First attempt at a project in PicTo Weave
Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I'm trying out the PicTo Weave program.  My first project is well beyond my capabilities of actually weaving but I think it does look like it could be worked by somebody that knows what they're doing.  Since I haven't tried color changes yet does the pattern look OK?  Too many colors?  Too many speckels?  Any constructive critism?

IP Logged

Jim Hicks
Ex Member

Re: First attempt at a project in PicTo Weave
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
The .zip file for the above image uploaded but when I tried to open it I got an error about its being an invalid zip file.  The file size was 26kb instead of 72kb.  What I have attached here is my .zip file with the extension changed to .pdf (only certain file type extensions are allowed to be uploaded).  If you save the attached .pdf and then rename it with the .zip extension it will open.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:34pm by »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 71 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Jim,
The pattern is a good start.
My main concern is the number of single thread/rotation colour changes in the speckles.
When you only use a thread for one turn, you have to be very careful when it comes time to tighten the threads.
If you over tighten, it is pretty easy to pull the wrap thread away from the adjacent ones leaving gaps that are very had to fix.
Sometimes single threads just disappear when you tighten because they pull down lower than the adjacent threads which cover multiple turns.

To achieve the speckles you can use a couple of different approaches.
  • Use the background colour in your weave. If you take a thread out for a turn you get whatever color your background is as a spot.
  • Use multi-colour threads to give speckles in areas without needing lots of colour changes. You can load your jigs with (say) a tan thread AND a Tan & Black multi-colour. Then periodically swap them on the left jig.

It's a good idea to print your pattern in actual size and study it.
Just do a print preview and uncheck the "fit to page" box.
Then you can adjust it to suit.

If any area looks "blocky" on the printed version, it probably will when you weave it.
Likewise if a detail is virtually lost, then you might want to consider getting rid of it from the pattern.
It's all about getting you mind to see fine details that aren't necessarily there.
Have a look at an icon. The icons on your windows desktip are made up of a grid 32 x 32 pixels, yet convey shading & detail to the eye that is far greater than what's actually there when you blow the up.

Probably the main things I'd look at on this pattern is losing the specks on the border of the two browns, and making any colour changes more structured.

For example on row 26 we have
turn 69 = pink
turn 70 = grey
turn 71 = pink
turn 72 = grey
turn 73 = tan
turn 74 = grey
turn 75 = tan

That's a whole lotta colour changes! Smiley

If you lost the pink turns I don't think it would make any difference to the overall design.

I usually do a pattern, then come back another day and look at it with fresh eyes and adjust it.
Have a look at it printed out beside the image you modelled it on.
Look for areas like the sweep of the tail, or the gill lines that define movement or make up recognisable features and try to make them stand out.

Try to devise ways of getting that detail using horizontal lines rather than vertical lines. This weave by Doc Ski of a cobia is a classic example of what I mean. - (Note that the image has been rotated, so what is vertical in the pic would be horizontal when you're doing the pattern)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
There's a stack of detail, but look how few actual colour changes are made on any given thread.
Also note how the illusion of movement is made by defining the shape/angle of the tail. Not with more threads, but by using the background to break it up for one turn.
You have to draw like a cartoonist!
There are no shades and fades to define areas like a water colour artist might use.

I learn something new on every weave I do.
And I learn just as much poring over close up photos of other peoples work Wink

Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Owen
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2008 at 9:02pm by Owen Dare »  
IP Logged

Jim Hicks
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Thanks Owen!  That's quite a bit of great info you posted.  I'll redesign it with an eye toward eliminating unnecessary color changes and using shapes and contours that take advantage of the horizontal lines.

The multi-color thread idea for the speckles sounds interresting.  I'll have to try it out on a weave to see how it looks.  Did you have any examples?

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The multi-color thread idea for the speckles sounds interresting. I'll have to try it out on a weave to see how it looks. Did you have any examples?

If I can once again call on one of Doc's masterpieces I have Wink
If you study this weave, you can see both the use of a multi colour weave to give the speckles and also a weave that has lots of colour change, but only one layer for everything except the pectoral fin!

That's why I rate Doc as the best in the business.
Anyone can do a complex and detailed weave. It's a mechanical process... If you follow set procedures you'll get a tight job.
The art is to make a simple weave design appear complex!

That's the bit I struggle with Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint