Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A couple'a thoughts as I'm learning PicTo Weave... (Read 1095 times)
Jim Hicks
Ex Member

A couple'a thoughts as I'm learning PicTo Weave...
Nov 28th, 2008 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Just some rambling thoughts from a newby...

Scrolling through the colors... is there a way to filter the list? Like if I want to look at just the metalics, or NCP, or just FishHawk, or just certain colors? 

How about a custom thread list where I can check off just the colors I have in my trays and then select through that when creating my project?

How would I designate a multicolor thread in the project?

I saw silk threads in the list but the thread sizes start with size A.  How would I account for using the actual silk threads in the smaller sizes?

My first project got me through learning some of the functions in PicToWeave.  There are pleanty of design mistakes I made which could possibly be caught through a pattern check in the program... multiple single turn color changes could be one such alert.  If layers could be counted then perhaps the placement of a particular thread that forces a new layer could be another alert.  These alerts could even pop up a tutorial on how to design around those types of things.

I can work with the Left List but one thing I found quite useful in the few wraps I've done is to write down the count of how many threads are supposed to be in the left jig on each turn.  It then takes just a second or two to compare this "checksum" with my actual thread count to see if I missed something. It won't catch me pulling the wrong thread but it'll catch me not moving one back or forth.

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: A couple'a thoughts as I'm learning PicTo Weave...
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Just some rambling thoughts from a newby...

Scrolling through the colors... is there a way to filter the list? Like if I want to look at just the metalics, or NCP, or just FishHawk, or just certain colors?

Not at this time, but it may be possible.
I'll look into it.

Quote:
How about a custom thread list where I can check off just the colors I have in my trays and then select through that when creating my project?

You can add, delete or modify all the available threads & colours using the color-map utility.
See the help file (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I have been thinking about using a check box system to allow the user to tick what they want visible.
I just have to work out how to do it so that if user A does a design with say Fish Hawk Black and emails it to User B who doesn't have that thread checked then the program goes looking for that colour and adds it.

Quote:
How would I designate a multicolor thread in the project?

You can add the thread to the library as described above.
That way it will be listed on your layer list, but...
There is no way at this time for the grid to display more than one colour in the cells.
It is something I have been considering for some time, but it's not so easy to solve.
I'm hoping I can come up with something to display stripes across the cells in question.

Quote:
I saw silk threads in the list but the thread sizes start with size A. How would I account for using the actual silk threads in the smaller sizes?

You can add additional threads sizes or modify the sizes to suit your real world results at any time.
See the help file
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Please note that any changes you make to thread colours and sizes may be overwritten next time you install an update, so if you are using custom sizes and colours keep a copy of your pic2weave.ini file in another location so you can merge any changes later.
If you are using Vista, any changes you make get put in a virtual store, so you need to search for all copies.

Quote:
My first project got me through learning some of the functions in PicToWeave. There are pleanty of design mistakes I made which could possibly be caught through a pattern check in the program... multiple single turn color changes could be one such alert. If layers could be counted then perhaps the placement of a particular thread that forces a new layer could be another alert. These alerts could even pop up a tutorial on how to design around those types of things.

The idea is sound, but I doubt I will find the time to implement such a thing.  At the end of the day the user is the artist, not the software.
I won't say never, but I'll save it as a rainy day idea  Wink

Quote:
I can work with the Left List but one thing I found quite useful in the few wraps I've done is to write down the count of how many threads are supposed to be in the left jig on each turn. It then takes just a second or two to compare this "checksum" with my actual thread count to see if I missed something. It won't catch me pulling the wrong thread but it'll catch me not moving one back or forth.

I could probably do this, but I'm thinking it would have to be a separate report to the left list.
Let me think it through  Smiley

Thanks for your feedback.

Owen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint