Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Getting Started (Read 15295 times)
fishergirl06
Ex Member

Getting Started
Dec 28th, 2008 at 2:40am
Print Post  
I have this really neat graphic of Snoopy (from Peanuts) that I want to put on a rod.  He is in Flying Ace gear so there are about 4 or 5 layers.  I have never done a weave like this before, so I am wondering what is the best way to get started?  How do I get the wrapping thread to 'ramp' up to the weave so I don't have a sharp edge that the threads will fall off of?  I know this is probably a bit above my actual level of weaving, but I have it all set up and ready to go now, so I don't want to take it off until I'm done (i'm sort of stubborn that way).
So any input I would really welcome!
Thanks in advance!
Stacy

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: Getting Started
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Stacy,
Don't try to get the wrapping thread to "ramp up the threads"

Lay your threads out and begin your wrapping thread well in from the ends.
You will need some length sticking out to the left when you are finished to allow you to tighten the threads.

The attached image should give you an idea of what I'm rambling about.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

When you are finished tightening, packing & rolling, THEN cut the excess threads  on an angle so that they are not all the same length.
Then using a blade, scrape them to make them flatten out and fray.
Then wet them so that they sit down nice and flate.
THEN start another wrap thread on top of the original and wrap back towards the left and over your design threads.

Follow the same process on the right side, but in this case you will have your original wrapping thread still connected, so you just continue over the end with it.

If you prepare early, you can also lay a long piece of the same thread as your wrap thread down on the blank BEFOR you start wrapping your wrap thread.
Just the same way as you would prepare a thread inlay on th eend of a guide wrap.

By the way, that pattern is by no means beyond you.
Minimise the shades and it will weave quite well.

Cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Stacy

When starting mulitpal layers you always have to start some where, so good on you for taking the plung, just remember take it slow and if you have trouble concentrating take a break as this is the time you will make mistakes if you keep going. 

Good luck and can't wait to see the end result.

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Way to go Stacy. Take your time & you'll do fine.

Before you get a good start into it though check this forums tutorials section. There are several good one's by Doc Ski that are liable to save ya some headaches.

Need help just hollar! OK

IP Logged

fishergirl06
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Ok, sorry its been a few days since I got back to check this, but now I have an idea where to go with this weave.  I will post when I get someplace with it...but it may be a bit, i have to really take my time with things.
Thanks for the advice, it is well taken and I will do my best with it!

IP Logged

fishergirl06
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:45am
Print Post  
So perhaps you are all wondering how I am doing with this weave...well, let me tell ya...
I really jumped in without taking the swimming lesson and sunk right to the bottom.  I realized that its not an easy task and I need to start out much slower.  So I am going to find something with perhaps just two layers and work my way up from there.  Some day I will do this weave, just not for a while, its way over my head.  Maybe you saw that but didn't want to deter me from trying, but I really didn't do well with this.  I didn't get real far and realized I need to start slower...so I am going to do that.  Thanks for the input, I will still put it to use on what I do in the near future.  I just need to find or create something a little simpler to start with.
Stacy
Wink

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Stacey,
If there is any way in which Sandy & I can help, you only need ask.
If you care to zip up your project and send it to me I'd be happy to review it for you.
Maybe you just need to look at it from a different angle.

Certainly, if you feel you need to start out small and work your way up then do so.  The last thing you want is to become frustrated.
You could always try one or two of the competition weaves?

Anyway, like I said.. With skype, AIM, MSN etc, you're never far from help so don't be shy.

cheers,
Owen

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Owen Dare wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:11pm:
Certainly, if you feel you need to start out small and work your way up then do so. The last thing you want is to become frustrated.
You could always try one or two of the competition weaves?

Anyway, like I said.. With skype, AIM, MSN etc, you're never far from help so don't be shy.

cheers,
Owen

Exactly Stacy,
Don't get discouraged and don't be shy. Ya might try making a silhouette pattern of the snoopy and wrapping that one. Sometimes it's not the number of layers or color changes that is causing one the greif but something in the pattern itself or more often some "little" thing that one is doing or not doing that once figured out, can make all the difference in the world. For me, it was having the jigs to close to the weave. Something so simple yet so frustrating until it "clicked".

Be well lady,

Raymond

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint