Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Metallic Wrap Thread - Bad Section - Repair (Read 2614 times)
Jim Hicks
Ex Member

Metallic Wrap Thread - Bad Section - Repair
Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:21am
Print Post  
I'm weaving a calligraphic set of initials inside a fancy boarder. Blue design thread over silver metallic wrap.  It's a negative image so the initials will be in the metallic silver.  Everything is looking perfect and I've just 13 wraps to go when I notice that the metallic is bare nylon  Angry .  The bare section extends for a few turns around the spool so I didn't do it  Roll Eyes .  I un-did up a few wraps to give me some good thread to work with and carefully cut the wrap thread and threaded it under the design threads and to the right until I could secure it.  I then took the bobbin with good thread and carefully threaded a length under the same design threads on the right so it was wrapping back towards the spot where I stopped.  A little pushing and tugging and I was ready to pick up where I left off.  This was more difficult that I expected; I had to carefully manuver the wraps as I went along to keep the parts I threaded under the design threads in position to be tie offs sticking out so I could keep the spilced wrap tight when it came time for detailed packing.  I now have five wraps to go and when I went to move a thread from left to right I see that it isn't on the left.  I traced my turns and it seems that when I started over I picked up from one turn too late  Cry .  Now I gotta un-do it back to where I first spliced in the new thread and I'm sure I'll have trouble keeping all that straight.  Shocked

Anyway... This time I figure I'll back up through enough turns to put in a tie off loop and pull the old and new wrap thread through on the back side.  This is the correct way to repair the wrap thread isn't it?

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: Metallic Wrap Thread - Bad Section - Repair
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Jim,
Your only real options are to do what you are doing, or try to insert the new thread under the existing wrap threads with a curved needle.
Metallic is a royal PITA for this.  Be very careful that you keep it tight as you go too, because too much movement at the end will strip off the outer metallic coating.
Good luck!

IP Logged

Jim Hicks
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Thanks Owen.  It seems to be going OK now.  I just finished the last wrap and everything looks correct.  I just set it aside while I steele myself for tightening the design threads and hoping it all doesn't come unraveled Smiley

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Anyway... This time I figure I'll back up through enough turns to put in a tie off loop and pull the old and new wrap thread through on the back side. This is the correct way to repair the wrap thread isn't it?

Jim Metallic and be a royal pain the the rear end but the end result is worth, at least I think so.  what you have written here is what I do when I have the same problem, it takes time but it gives a better result in the end. 

Hope to see some pics soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint