Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wrapping thread tension (Read 6195 times)
Ken M
Ex Member

Wrapping thread tension
Mar 24th, 2009 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking that on multi-layer weaves, that I may be my own worst enemy. I think that I may be using FAR too much tension while wrapping, and this makes it more difficult to maintain, and later pack the threads tightly together.
How much tension do you all use on the wrapping thread?

IP Logged

Sandy D
Ex Member

Re: Wrapping thread tension
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Ken i never have my tension to tight it is more on the medium, but the secret to a good weave is the packing as you go.  I learnt this from Doc that every time I take a thread back or forth I tug on it to tighten what already has been done.  When I come to the end of the weave most of the work is already done and it keeps the threads neat and straight as I go.

IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Yes, I agree to that Sandy, I tug, and try to kepp everything in line as I go also. I think that I have been running into more trouble when attempting several layers, as in the flaming initial weave that I posted a few weeks back, because I have the wrapping thread so tight that it pins down the non-used layers to the point where it is difficult to keep them in line with the used design thread when swapping colors.
I just wanted to get a feel for what some of you more experienced weavers use in regards to tension, to see if my thinking is in-line.
    I will try less tension on the next one to see if this does in fact help keep all in better order....Thanks!

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 4:47am
Print Post  
I use a quite firm tension. As much as I do a guide for instance.
There will be a tendency for the "unused" threads to want to creep in the direction you are wrapping as the wrapping thread goes over them.
Also you have to keep "re-aligning the outer threads as you go simply because your loom holds them in a vee configuration but you need to keep them parallel with the blank.
It may be helpful to scribe some alignment marks to help control the drift.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009 at 7:23am by Owen Dare »  
IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 5:05am
Print Post  
That's a good idea Owen.
Maybe I will try an alignment mark, or marks, to have as reference points.......WHY hadn't I thought of that????? Engage, brain, ENGAGE!
Thanks Owen

IP Logged

woodsnwaterjcd
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Thanks to all for your valued input.

This is an issue I have delt with in the past. Tighten, align every turn and be patient with the process.

I use a bit more tension than not, allowing movement of pattern threads to maintain alignment, especially multi-color (unless threads are dropped), without damage or breakage. Yet enough to hold things in place preventing large expansion gaps when applying CP. Two hard lessons learned.

I use flourescent lights above my wrapping station to keep pattern threads in line. Periodically, a piece of thread temporarily taped over the pattern then removed or a straight edge to verify alignment reference.

I would like to know more about zip ties to anchor layout threads. Makes sense to me, cleaner, more secure? Appears cumbersome to work with though. Please share your experience/guidance. THX.

Craig
"FISH ON"

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Craig,
I'm working on a tutorial on setting up a weave using zip ties.
Stay tuned...

IP Logged

woodsnwaterjcd
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Roger, Standing by...

Thank you Owen.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint