Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to start a color weave (Read 5780 times)
fiesta
Bronze Member

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
How to start a color weave
May 28th, 2009 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi, after a long time, I decide to make a color weave (my first one). I found an image with a tiger and I design it with two colors. Black and orange. My problem is I don't know who to put the threads on the rod. Black threads first and from the top the orange threads, or backwards? It dependence from the number of threads? If the black threads has more from the orange we put them first or not?
I have left list with color, but I don't understand the steps...

For example:
1:      87,88,89,90,91,92,93,       †(7)
2:      86@,87-88, color=#ff0000]©89,©90,©91[/color],92-93,@94,@95,@96,@97,       †(12)
3:      85@,86,©87,©88,89-91,92-97,@98,@99,       †(15)
4:      85-86,©87,88-91,©92,93-99,@100,       †(16)
5:      85,©86,87,88-91,©92,93-100,       †(16)
6:      85,86,©87,88-91,©92,©93,©94,95,©96,97-100,       †(16)

I don't understand when I remove a thread back to the right jig...
Any help is acceptable Cry

Thanks
Yiannis

IP Logged

Ken M
Ex Member

Re: How to start a color weave
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2009 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Hello Fiesta,
I'm not an expert, but have done a few color change weaves.
If you click on the thread list on Pictoweave, you should see a graphic display, or picture of sorts, of just how you should lay the threads out on the rod.
Start by laying the threads down that are displayed in the left column...then stack the threads displayed in the next column...and so on, but be careful to align the threads in any given position, with the threads on the previous layer.for instance, if you have a #35 thread in black and another #35 in orange, one should be directly on top of and in line with the other.
when following your left list, you place ONLY the thread that is represented on the list, in the left loom. for example in line 3 of your left list thread #87 changes from black on line 2 to orange...so, the black thread is brought back to the right, and the orange thread goes to the left at position #87.
Also in my understanding, is that you should always put the thread going left, toward the center thread in your weave, being careful to do so in the same fashion each time, so as not to create a knot between the design threads, otherwise it may become nearly impossible to tighten those threads later on.That has been the trickiest part for me, and maybe someone else can explain it better for you, or correct me if I am wrong.
Don't be put off....it's not as bad as it sounds ( or reads )!!!
Hope this helps   Ken

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2009 at 8:14am
Print Post  
G'day Yiannis,
Ken has explained quite well.

Any numbers on the left list require you to have that colour thread in the left jig.
If a particular number is NOT on the list then ALL the threads for that slot should be in the right jig.
In the case of a simple orange & black pattern I would go to the OPTIONS section and set it like in the image below.
Select "PRINT LEFT LIST IN COLOUR" and select "Use a contrasting colour" when asked.
Turn all the other items off for now.
Then when you print your left list it will show you whether you should have a black or an orange thread in the left jig.

Numbers seperated by a comma mean that something is different there to last time.
A thread has been added, taken away, or the colour has changed.
Numbers seperated by a dash mean that ALL the numbers in that range should be on the left †jig and that nothing has changed from last rotation.

The last number on each line that is surrounded bu brackets like (12) means that if you have everything right, there should be 12 threads in your left jig for that rotation.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2009 at 8:31am by Owen Dare »  
IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2009 at 8:26am
Print Post  
In this image you can see a simple 3 layer pattern and the "Thread List" or "Layer List" that is generated for it.
Because orange covers the most rows we put it down first.
So we start in the left column and put a thread in the jig from 1 to 20 in whatever colour †the list says. †In this case all Orange.
Then we go to the second column and put threads in all the slots listed there. †Note, that some slots in this layer don't get a thread.
Then we repeat for the third layer.  You will see in the third layer, only slots 5 to 8 get a black thread.

IP Logged

fiesta
Bronze Member

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2009 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ken and Owen for the advice. I try to do the color weave and if something goes wrong, I post it here.

Thanks again... Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint