Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Owen I need help (Read 1750 times)
Paul lindsey
Ex Member

Owen I need help
Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Owen i have been trying to get a good weave since i joined probably 2-3 years. I read books for the great upton and the wizard Doc Ski but there is some thing i am doing wrong. I can be fifteen minutes into the weave and i have left list thread in the wrong places. I don't want to give up but it is getting close. Do you have ANY ideas from an expert to help

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: Owen I need help
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Paul,
The best advice I can give is to start simple and wok your way up.
Each success will build confidence and you will learn something from every weave.
I find the easiest and most common mistake I make is to put threads in the wrong slot.
Usually it will be to put the thread that was supposed to go into slot 8 into slot 12, or something like that.
i.e.  They go on the wrong side of the nearest slot with a number.
To help avoid that, I put numbers on all the slots, or at least every second or third one.
The next tip is to only weave when your head is in the right place.
I usually know within a few minutes if my concentration levels are right.  If they are not, I get up and walk away.
Likewise, I usually only weave for an hour or so in a sitting.  As soon as I start to get tired or lose concentration I get up and walk away.
There are no prizes for finishing fast, so just take your time.
Start out with small weaves so you can complete them in a reasonable time frame.
Likewise start out with single layer weaves.
One of the things about the internet is that you get to see the best the world has to offer.
But what you DON'T usually see is all the failures that occurred on the journey.
Try not to be disheartened if your first efforts are not as good as Doc Ski's....  Neither was his Wink

IP Logged

EdH
Ex Member

Re: Owen I need help
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Paul - From a new rod builder.
I am like you and have initial troubles with getting mixed weaves I started out doing a Bass Weave 4 colors and large size 40 x 87.  It was not a stellar job and them there was the color shift issue. My dark green turned almost black. That was another learning.  But back to weaving. I too got DVDs, Uptons book, and even look all over the web, youtube,etc.  They all help get the concept and methods across.  An what I've determined is that the advise Owen gave is exactly the best advice anyone will give you.  I should have started simple- one or two colors, make a copy of the left list and check off each tread as you make the single turn wrap, check for tightness and shifting, stop periodically and cross check. 

I've done 3 rods now, they all turn ok from my stand point but I want it to be perfect the first time.  People who see them say "WOW how in the world do you do that!"  But I notice it get easier with each rod and instead of taking a week for the first wrap or weave the time is coming down.  There is some truth to the saying " practice makes to perfect".  Just hang in there.  Also if your in a location near a city of rod builders try email them for advice.  There are more and more rod and or tackle shops that offer building equipment and if they do they have guys that can help and advise you.  I've find most are glad to help. Don't get frustrated.  If you doing this as a hobby the its suppose to be fun.  I gave up golf for fishing.  Still get frustrated but I still find fishing and rod building more fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint