Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thread Sizes (Read 8518 times)
Allan
Ex Member

Thread Sizes
Mar 7th, 2010 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Okay, I have seen a few references to thread brands and types.  What I don't know is what size to use on a small rod.  An ultralight or smaller fly rod.

I used D size for my name but seemed a bit large (unless I did it wrong) on an ultralight.  Most of the examples I have seen appear to be on larger rod diameters.  I am sure I can do some weaves on thin rods, but not sure how to scale things down so they look good and the right size threads.

Thanks in advance from an old bald guy.

Allan

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: Thread Sizes
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Allan,
On smaller rods, I would stick to size A or even go to a #40 embroidery thread lie Madeira or others.

I often use size C for the wrap thread and #40 for the pattern threads.
On real light rods you will likely use size A on your guides so it makes sense to use the same thread on your weave wrap thread.

Depending on your current pattern, you may be able to simply switch sizes and get the size you want.
If you did you pattern in P2W, just change your two thread sizes and it will tell you roughly how big the resulting weave will be.

Sometimes though, you can get a better result if you design the entire weave with the smaller thread in mind.
This is because you can fit in more detail using smaller thread.  i.e. You have more "pixels" at your disposal for teh same sized weave.

IP Logged

Allan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Well other than fighting the twisting of the threads, this worked MUCH better for me.  Thanks for sizes.  This time I could actually read it on the top of the blank not wrapped around it.

I GOT TA get a weaving jig next.

In the Madeira threads, do you use the rayon or polyester?  I understand their metallics are better than most.  Is this true?

Now to read up more on your software....

Thanks from an old bald guy.
Allan

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Allan,
Don't use the rayon threads!
Stick to polyester.
There are all sorts of problems with rayon that make it unsuitable for rod work.
Madeira metallic threads are pretty good.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint