Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Newbie Question (Read 1997 times)
PaulC
Ex Member

Newbie Question
Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Hello,
I downloaded the Demo version of P2W to get an idea of how it worked. Seems very easy...I was able to import our clubs logo and assign blocks with the various colors to recreate the underlying image. One basic question I have is this...I inputted for starters Size A Thread for both the design threads and the wrap thread. But the resulting grid was made up of rectangles and not squares. I would expect that by using Size A Thread for both design and wrap, the crossovers would be more square-like than rectangular. Is there some inherent distortion from weaving on a cylindrical surface that requires a rectangle instead of a square? I probably would not have asked this question were it not for all the care and questions regarding aspect ratio and such at the set-up of a project.

IP Logged

Raymond Adams
Ex Member

Re: Newbie Question
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:59am
Print Post  
With the wrapping thread under tention it's actually smaller in diameter than the same size design threads.
Rule of thumb is to use a wrapping thread 1 size bigger than your design threads if you can.

Switch the wrap thread size in Pic-to-Weave to "B" and you'll have squares on the grid instead of rectangles.

IP Logged

Owen Dare
YaBB Administrator
Experienced Weaver

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Paul,
Raymond has basically covered it.
PicToWeave replicates what happens in real life.
You can adjust the "stretch factor" according to your own results.
I suggest you print out teh help file and check out the section on thread sizes and stretch factor.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

PaulC
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Ah! Very good. Being an engineer, I appreciate the attention to detail required to simulate what actually happens.
Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint